Friday, January 15, 2010

I love Fridays



Like every Friday, tonight is homemade pizza night for me and the hubby. My mom found this recipe from thefreshloaf.com. We absolutely love this dough! Plus it's super easy to make. The recipe page explains in depth how to do the shaping of the dough and making your own sauce, I never pay attention to all that stuff - I'm only there for the dough :p

Makes 4 10-inch pizzas (I've never been able to get four pizzas out of this, only 3, probably because I tend to make ours bigger)
5 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar or honey
2 teaspoons salt (or 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 to 2 cups room-temperature water

The dough is usually slightly wetter and stickier than a normal dough but don't be afraid! When I'm done mixing it (no need to knead) I spray a little bit of nonstick spray on the dough then I cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it sit for an hour. After that I divide it into three balls, I cook one that night. The other two I place in individual freezer bags sprayed on the inside two or three times with nonstick spray.

Tonight's pizza is the last one from the freezer. I took it out this afternoon, placed it in a bowl, covered it with saran wrap, and will shape it with my pastry roller on a pizza pan when I get home from work. I preheat the oven to 450° and cook the dough by itself for 4-5 minutes, you kinda just have to watch it. My husband puts on the toppings because he says he's better at it :p Then I let the pizza cook again for 7-10 minutes, carefully watching it.

I don't make my own sauce, instead I use canned Contadina Pizza sauce. My mother used it when she made homemade pizza for us when we were kids and I love it. It makes the pizza much less greaser than when you use pizza sauce from a jar. Apparently it's crazy hard to find here in the south and the only place I've been able to get it is Kroger.

Lastly, I top it with Turkey pepperoni since we are trying to be healthier. In my opinion it tastes the same as regular pepperoni when cooked and the hubby loves it!

1 comment:

  1. I think I am going to have to make this sometime because I always LOVED your mom's pizza. I haven't made homemade pizza dough before but it looks easy enough. Oh those overnighters at your house....Pizza nights were the best! miss those!

    ReplyDelete